Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Welcome and Introduction

Dear Friends,

We at Christ UMC are so glad you're here! We've designed this blog to be a place where you can stop by during the week to connect with our church family and other Methodists. God Talk is a safe place to think over matters of faith and life. Whether or not you are a Christian, whether or not you are Methodist, we welcome you here.

Please take a look around. There's a post about how and why we talk about God, to familiarize you with how Christians approach the idea of God. We encourage you to comment on posts with your thoughts and questions. Please be mindful of your interactions with everyone here, so that we treat each other the way we'd like to be treated face-to-face. General guidelines for conduct are found here.

There will be a few contributors to this blog. First is the Rev. Dr. Jane Jacques, a Deacon in the United Methodist Church and professor at Ashland Theological Seminary. To me, she goes by Mom.

Then there's me. I am a member of the Christ UMC Diaspora living in Cambridge, MA. I came here to get my M.Div. at the Boston University School of Theology, which I earned in May 2010. I'm still here while my husband studies pre-health, and I work as a customer service representative. Since I was 18, I have been a candidate for ministry in the United Methodist Church. Christ UMC started me on that journey by approving me as a candidate for ministry even though I was only 18. Now I am a certified candidate working toward provisional membership in the East Ohio Conference. My local church involvement is with Harvard-Epworth UMC, which is full of dynamic, generous, welcoming, loving people who truly care about all those in their community. My favorite things to do at church are Cancel Choir, Young Adult Group, our outdoor ministry with my homeless neighbors in Cambridge, and United Methodist Women.

During the week, I sing with the Back Bay Chorale and hang out with friends and family. My husband and I have a pet: our tropical fish, Fizzy. We like to go letterboxing together, watch cartoons, play board games with friends, and follow our favorite comic books. I love to learn about all the world's cultures, especially their food and dance traditions.

I look forward to getting to know you, and to sharing this space for reflection and growth with you!

God's Peace,
Carolyn

No comments:

Post a Comment