Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Giving Thanks

Tomorrow's Thanksgiving, and I'm pausing after baking a couple of pies. I'm feeling grateful and slightly guilty for the things I often take for granted:

- food and shelter
- friends and family
- my local church
- freedom
- this country

On Thanksgiving, it can be difficult to reconcile our day of thanks with the actions of our ancestors toward the original inhabitants of this continent, the Native Americans, after the first Thanksgiving. Well, I found a great article on the Sojo blog that addresses this issue with grace: The Truth About Thanksgiving: Why You Should Celebrate. It encourages us to "Celebrate the fact that we are beginning to tell our history in an honest and inclusive way, because only by telling an honest and inclusive history can we have an honest and inclusive present." Amen to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment